Join us for practice
Come down to our Long Beach practice site and discover what makes our team unique, no strings attached. Google directions
Practices are held at Mother's Beach (Marine Park) in Long Beach, with the following upcoming events.
Cross-streets are 2nd Street and Appian Way.
Directions are as follows:
* From the 405, take the 22-West
* Exit Studebaker, turn left onto Studebaker
* Turn right at 2nd Street
* Stay in the right lane past PCH
* At the end of the bridge exit Appian Way
* Left is a metered lot OR right is a free parking lot.
* LARD meets by the first tree on the right corner as you walk through the metered parking lot towards the beach.
The metered parking lot is metered starting at 10AM. Alternatively, down the street is a larger lot where you can park for free. Dragonboaters are highly discouraged from parking on the street. Please do not park next to the boy scout building on sundays.
Please clean up after yourself before leaving. We encourage recycling your empty bottles.
The boats are usually beached near the Davies bridge and covered with a blue tarp. On the weekends, boats are usually beached at the waterline between use by the different teams.
All people new to LARD are allowed to practice 3 weekends before applying for membership. We believe that this time will give new people an opportunity to know us as a team and experience the sport. Advanced notice is not required before attending practice for the first time. We will never turn away a new paddler but we prefer the initial practice to not be within the 2 weeks before a race. We will be able to provide more instruction and aid outside of these time frames. Please contact the captains to ensure space for you on the boat and to receive the latest practice waivers.
What do I need?
As this is a water sport, chances are you'll be getting off the boat with a little extra water weight clinging to your clothes. It is advised that paddlers dress in comfortable attire suitable for water sports.
Some other items include:
- - Bottled water
- - A change of clothes, sunscreen, towel, sunglasses/hat - anything you would normally take to the beach (minus the beach balls and umbrella!)
- - Sandals/shoes you don't mind getting wet
- - Paddles and PFDs will be provided for guests